Zelyony (Green) Bazaar in Almaty city
Green Bazaar is one of the oldest markets in Almaty. Located in the central part of the city, in the Medeu district. Trading rows on the site of the Green Bazaar have existed since 1868.
In 1868, in the square of Kuldzhinskaya (Makatayeva), Torgovaya (Zhibek Zholy), Pervogildeyskaya (Zenkova), Boulevard (Pushkin) of the city of Verny, a trading area was founded, where the trading market was located later.
Gostiny Dvor and its merchants
In 1875, “Gostiny Dvor” was built on the territory of the trade area according to the project of architect Jan Kozell-Poklevsky, which consisted of two low pavilions stretching along Torgovaya Street. The customer and the construction sponsor was the Semipalatinsk merchant Sadyk Rafikov, one of the most influential people in the city of that time.
During this period, this complex was called “Gostiny Dvor and its merchants”. He received visiting guests, entrepreneurs, sales agents from all over Central Asia, neighboring countries and even from island Japan. The market remained a monument not only to the commercial and industrial well-being of the region, but also to architectural and town planning art. His stone shops, entertainment and amusement rides, shops, shopping malls, flowing aryk and fountains, erected to perform prayers Muslims. In terms of its trade and other qualities, the bazaar was not inferior to the best markets of Turkestan. Visiting merchants put their mansions around the perimeter of the business area. From the Green Bazaar, the city began to grow to the south-west.
In 1887 a major earthquake happened in Verniy, as a result of which the city was severely destroyed. From Gostiny Dvor almost nothing left. After the earthquake, Gostiny Dvor was rebuilt, but lost the former importance of the main trading place of the city, as the city authorities began to organize additional bazaars targeting one type of goods throughout the city: this is how the hay, vegetable, equestrian and livestock markets appeared. But after the revolution, not the best times came for them, because private trade was not encouraged at that time and was stopped in every way.
Central collective farm market.
With the advent of collective farms in the second half of the 1920s, large-scale trade in agricultural products, vegetables, and fruits was resumed. In 1927, Gostiny Dvor was rebuilt and acquired the new name Central Collective Farm Market. But the people got accustomed to the name Green Bazaar.
In the 1940s, the bazaar consisted of long rectangular rows under canopies, where wooden counters were located. At the bazaar they also traded live cattle, dairy products, and Almaty Aport apples. Fruits and vegetables were brought from the neighboring collective farms: the Kalinin, the Michurin, the Mountain Giant, the Ray of the East and the Dawn of the East. During the war, the bazaar was the only place where they continued to sell goods for money, rather than issue cards. But the prices in connection with the war were very high.
In the 70s, the wooden market was demolished. In its place in 1975 an indoor building in the style of Soviet constructivism appeared. The main architect of the project was Mark Pavlov. Bazaar was designed as a structure of several levels. The main pavilion was designed for 800 seats, the summer market - for 200 seats, and parking included a space for 400 cars.
In 2017, on the site of container pavilions and open trade stalls, where, until the beginning of the 2000s, there was an open market parking lot, a new trade pavilion was built. The area of the pavilion is about 20,000 square meters. m, half of which occupies commercial space and 10 000 square meters. m - two-tier car parking for 400 places. The project cost amounted to 2.5 billion tenge, more than 500 jobs were created.