Kazan Orthodox Church in Kyzylodra city
The Holy Kazan Church of the Icon of the Mother of God
The Holy Kazan Church of the Icon of the Mother of God takes an honorable place in the small list of attractions of Kyzylorda. The value of a religious building is not only in its architectural significance. Today it is also the only church for the Orthodox, located in a small Kazakh town.
In 1982, the building was declared an architectural monument of republican significance. Nevertheless, the religious building is operational - services are regularly held there. The building has been owned by the Russian Orthodox Church since May 1989.
History of the Holy Kazan Church of the Icon of the Mother of God
The forerunner of the Orthodox church in Kyzylorda was a camp church that looked like a tent. The structure was erected in 1855 and stood until 1863. All services and sacraments in it were conducted by the priest Leo Gorokhovskiy. There were many who wanted to visit the Orthodox shrine. And therefore, soon the need has ripened for the construction of a more complete and spacious building.
The new building was short-lived and stood for only five years. It could not be otherwise - the foundation of adobe bricks (clay clay bricks with the addition of straw) did not differ in strength and was exposed to rain.
The basis of the new religious building, it was decided to use burnt brick. The construction took quite a long time - for almost six years. Funds were allocated from the royal treasury. In December 1896, the temple was consecrated in honor of the icon of the Holy Kazan Mother of God. The building was decorated with nine bells. The weight of the largest reached 136 pounds. Unfortunately, only one bell, dating from 1888, has survived to our days.
Until the 1930s, the Kazan Temple of the Icon of the Mother of God was open to believers. Everything changed in the autumn of that year, when the armed Bolsheviks desecrated the shrine - they broke windows, cut down crosses, broke fences and burned icons. Later, the building turned into a hostel. Within its walls lived the Koreans exiled from the Far East. Since 1954, the temple turned into a museum of local lore.
A new reference point can be considered 1990, when the church was again returned to believers. Her condition was deplorable - the absence of bells, garbage dumps in the basement, broken icons and prayer books. The parishioners made cosmetic repairs of the religious building.
The first "serious" repair was carried out with the support of the local akimat only in 1997.
Once a stranger came to the temple, suffering from a bodily ailment. In the Orthodox monastery he was received without further questioning and provided shelter. Once a man discovered an old icon in the attic of the church, which was almost impossible to restore. But he was not afraid and took up the restoration of the shrine. During work, the master got rid of all his ailments, and the icon regained its original appearance. This case could be explained only by the miraculous power that the sacred face possessed. Now this icon adorns one of the walls of the church.
The shrine belongs to the Russian-Byzantine architectural style. Its external appearance is characterized by a hemispherical dome, a tendency upward, unplastered brickwork, a two-light cross-shaped hall. As a decoration of the facade, figured masonry from the same burnt brick was used.
The height of the building is 18 meters. Capacity - up to 300 people.
During repeated restorations, the church acquired bells made by Yaroslavl craftsmen. The roof of the temple has also changed - from blue in 2008 it turned into golden (it was covered with gilded iron).
As for the interior of the temple, most of the frescoes have not survived to this day. It is quite difficult to restore them in view of the absence of at least some documentary descriptions. Among the things that have survived are folios (stored in the local museum), utensils, and some icons. The oldest is about 500 years old.
How to get to the Holy Kazan Temple in Kyzylorda
The attraction is located on Zhurba street within walking distance from the Kyzylorda train station, Victory Park, Lokomotiv stadium and the city park.
By public transport: the closest to the points of interest are the TD Zhayna, Stary Bazar and Kulager stops. Buses No. 1, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 28 go to TD Zhayna. Buses will take you to the Stary Bazar stop No. 4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25. You can take the bus number 1 to Kulager. The distance from the Zhaina TD stop to the church is 400 meters. You need to go northwest along Kazybek bi street towards ul. Ilyasova.