Churches and temples of the city of Kyzylorda – sights of the city –
Russian Russian Holy Kazan Church of the Icon of the Mother of God (Kazan Icon of the Mother of God) is a building of the Russian Orthodox Church located in Kyzylorda, Kazakhstan. The church, built between 1890 and 1895, belongs to the Shymkent and Tarasov dioceses.
How to get there
The temple is located in the city of Kyzylorda, Kyzylorda region. GPS coordinates: 44°50'34"N 65°29'12"E
The first Orthodox church in Perovsk, which was called Kyzylorda until 1925, was consecrated on October 15, 1855. In 1863, a new mud brick church was built, but five years later it was destroyed by rains. In the same year, a church building was built, also of mud brick, but on a foundation of baked brick and covered with iron plates. In 1890, the construction of the current church began, which was consecrated on December 6, 1896. Its construction cost 35,000 rubles, of which the residents collected 5,000 rubles, and the rest was donated by the authorities.
Until December 1906, the church was under the jurisdiction of the Russian Imperial Army, after which it was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. Due to the persecution and repression of religious activities in the Soviet Union, the church was closed by the Bolsheviks in the mid-1930s. The building first housed a reception center for deportees, then an observatory, and then a museum of local lore. In 1982, the museum moved to another building, the church building was declared an architectural monument of national significance. However, no funds were allocated for the reconstruction of the building, and it remained unused.
In May 1989, the city executive committee handed over the building to the Russian Orthodox Church. The church had some damage, especially in the interior, but otherwise was in better condition than most other church buildings in the Soviet Union. For example, the frescoes were damaged so badly that their original condition could not be restored, since there were also no records or descriptions about them. The restoration of the church was carried out at the expense of parishioners and donations. Thus, the crosses on the domes were updated and new bells were purchased. The roof of the building, painted blue in the first years after the restoration, was covered with gilded iron in 2008.
Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God in the city of Kyzylorda