East Kazakhstan Region and Province.
East Kazakhstan region is one of 14 regions in Kazakhstan and is located in the north-east of the country. Its area is 283,200 square kilometers, the population is 1,378,504 people (2019). The population consists of 54.5 percent of Kazakhs, 40.5 percent of Russians and 5 percent of other nationalities.
Geography East Kazakhstan region.
The eastern part of the region is located mainly in the mountains of Altai. The highest point in the region is Belukha peak on the border with Russia, height is 4506 m. The temperature in January averages from -17 to -26 ° C, in July - from 19 to 23 ° C. From 120 to 1500 mm falls annually (in the mountains) precipitation. The largest river is the Irtysh, other large rivers are Ulba, Kurchum and Bukhtarma. Larger lakes are Zaysan, which flows into the reservoir of the Bukhtarma River, as well as Markakol and Alakol.
Economy East Kazakhstan region.
Non-ferrous metal processing prevails in the mountainous region due to the minerals available there. The main industries are engineering, metalworking, woodworking, light industry, food industry and the production of building materials. There are three hydroelectric power stations on the Irtysh. In agriculture, wheat, sunflower, potatoes, vegetables and fruits predominate. The content of cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and horses, meat, milk and furs are used as agricultural products. Beekeeping, fish farming and fur farming are also common. Irtysh is a navigable river.
History East Kazakhstan region.
During the Soviet Union, two regions - Semipalatinsk and East Kazakhstan - existed in the district, which were combined into administrative reform to form the modern East Kazakhstan region in 1997.
Semipalatinsk nuclear test site
Near Semey in the Soviet Union was one of the largest nuclear test sites of the Semipalatinsk nuclear test site. The landfill was built in 1946, in the period from 1949 to 1989 a total of 498 nuclear tests were carried out, mainly for military purposes. The first Soviet atomic bomb was detonated here on August 29, 1949, and the world's first hydrogen bomb on August 12, 1953. Until 1962, tests were carried out in the atmosphere or on the ground, after which they were conducted underground. A test site of approximately 18,000 km² was secret and strictly protected. The uninformed population in the area, especially the shepherds, suffered from serious health problems. Pollution of the region occurred within a radius of 200 km.