Excursion to Fort Shevchenko and Bautino
Sights of Fort Shevchenko
Travel from Almaty to Fort Shevchenko
Fort Shevchenko is a city, the administrative center of the Tupkaragan district. The city is located on the eastern shore of the Caspian Sea, 130 km northwest of the city of Aktau. In the Middle Ages, there was a seaport here, goods were sent from this port to Europe and Central Asia. In Soviet times, Fort Alexandrovsk and the Novo-Petrovsk fortress were built here.
In the late XIX-early XX centuries, many Russian peasants came and settled here. They were engaged in fishing. Fishing and seal hunting were one of the oldest crafts of the Turkic and Kazakh tribes inhabiting the eastern coast of the Caspian Sea. On the outskirts of the city there are the remains of a ruined fortress on Mount Kurgantas. In 1882, Fort Alexandrovsk became the center of Mangistau county, and in 1896 it was awarded the title of a city. In 1850-57, the great Ukrainian poet T. G. Shevchenko was here. In 1932, the Shevchenko Memorial Museum was opened. In 1928 Fort Shevchenko received the status of a city.
Due to the development of oil found on the shelf of the Caspian Sea, Fort Shevchenko has begun to develop rapidly over the past 5 years. The bases of foreign oil and gas companies are located in this city. In 2006, the 160th anniversary of the city took place. The city has a printing house, a district communications department, 4 schools, 6 kindergartens, a House of Culture, 2 libraries, 3 museums, a hotel, an automatic telephone exchange, a district hospital and polyclinic, a pharmacy, a sanitary and epidemiological station.
In the city of Fort Shevchenko there are monuments of civil architecture of the late 19th-early 20th century. The famous stone processing master Idris Serikbayev, a rich entrepreneur, philanthropist Z. lived in the city. Dubsky, Turkmen poet Khatam-shayyr, Zhyrau Nazar Sengirbayevich, etc. Historical buildings in the city: the remains of the Novo-Petrovsky Fortress (1846), the Shevchenko Memorial Museum (1847-57), the lower (1851) and upper (1862) Tupkaragan lighthouses, the People's House (1880-82), the temple near Korgantas (1891), the buildings of the city communications hub (1912), the house in which he lived M. Sengirbayev (mid-20th century, now the Nazar Zhyrau Memorial Museum), etc.; All of them are taken under state protection.
- Distance of the route:
- Season time:
- Best time:
spring summer autumn
- Group size:
- Days & nights: